Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's People We Love

Standing in line to pay our lunch bill a few weeks before Christmas and we couldn't help overhearing their conversation. Two burly construction workers directly behind us. They were loud, they were annoyed, they were hurting.

"I hate this time of year."
"Yeah, me too."
"It just makes you feel so (#@*) miserable."
"I know what you mean. Did you know it was my 50th birthday last week and I didn't get an (#@*) thing. No, I did get a card, but I never actually received it because my son left it in his glove compartment and was too (@#*) lazy to go get it."
"Really, those (@#*  @#*)  kids are so ungrateful."

 It was my turn at the register.  I paid my bill and we headed to the car. My heart felt heavy with their conversation. The car wasn't out of park before the kids began discussing the men in line.


"They were so angry."
"Can you believe they used curse words so loudly in the store?"
"Someone should teach them manners."

It's amazing how we miss it. The pain behind the words. The kids did. The men were loud and foul mouthed and they should know better. But so much more was going on behind those words and I wanted the kids to see that, to feel that.
"Did you hear what they said?"
"Not a single loved one recognized his birthday."
"His heart feels empty, lonely, unloved."

I wish I'd the guts to turn around and hug him, to offer him something as a way to celebrate him and let him know he matters. He mattered to me in that moment and I know he matters to Christ.

Our pastor often says, "There isn't a single person you lock eyes with that doesn't matter to God."

I love that saying. It clothes each interaction with humanity. It demands I take my eyes off activities, busyness, my own stuff and recognize every human interaction is with one of God's beloved.


While standing in that line, hearing his pain, my mind searched for a way to express love to him, one of God's dearly beloved. I came up blank. I have a goal to be better prepared next time. So, my preparation is here, a little cyberspace place where one by one I celebrate God's grandest creation. I'm asking for eyes to see people the way God sees them. I'm asking for words to speak truth, blessing and His love into their lives.I'm asking for courage to see it through.

So, here on Tuesday's I am going to celebrate random human interactions. I'm going to let the subject of my story know they should tune in on Tuesdays so they can read and...
Here I will share the stories of everyday encounters such as....
  • People celebrating a somethin' somethin'
  • Simply sharing my observation of the amazing qualities in a person I've had the pleasure of being in the company of (the baggers at my grocery store have some true servant hearts)
  • Tell the courageous story of someone who can't or won't
  • Offer up an encounter as a prayer for their life (I've been praying for my 50th Birthday cardless man, I know God knows his name even  if I don't)
  • Here I will Lift up. Encourage. Thank. Recognize. Honor. Love.
But, It's no fun to do it alone.

Starting next Tuesday link with me here to share your encounters with God's beloved. Be prepared to stop in here to Grab the button and add it to your post so we can all find each other because, It's People We Love.

1 comment:

-t- said...

i am lovin' this and am excited for the invitation. thank you :)

and so i meditate on your invitation and His Word...

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this:
‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
The second is this:
‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...